Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thoughts on the Blackest Night Event



With the release of the last issue on March 31, DC's Blackest Night has finally ended. The event that sucked me back into the comic book world. (Though to be more precise it was the corresponding Green Lantern DTV release)

Now that the war has ended and the results have been displayed in panels, my overall reaction to it has been more positive than good. What could have an all-out awesome fest simply ended up being enjoyable for the most part.

Some grips and thoughts on the entire event:

  • With Green Lantern #43 and the first issue of event series, I was anticipating a more harsh and darker event. Instead, it became a giant Lantern war. There is nothing absolutely wrong with this change, but it is somewhat of a bait-and-switch.
  • Thank god I didn't buy all of the tie-ins. Except for the Suicide Squad story, they either weren't all that great/important or useless.
  • Unlike some cynical critics, I enjoyed Mera getting a big push.
  • Green Lantern Corps was my see-saw series. I would be annoyed with the direction, say I'm going to quit next issue, and that very next one would hook me back in again. Now that it's over, I might finally give it a rest.
  • I'm still unhappy about the outcome of Owen Mercer.
  • How come certain Black Lanterns (Superman, Ice, Animal Man, etc.) that were around near Hal Jordan when he became a White Lantern were given life again but nobody else except for the selected few at the end? Practically everyone was right there. Shouldn't there have been a bigger resurrection?
  • And now, for the "Event 12". The "Event 12" are the characters granted life again as picked by Geoff Johns at the end of issue #8. I dubbed them Event since the majority of them were killed during or in relation to previous events in DC. Some were expected (The Hawks and Aquaman), some interested me (Jade, Osiris), and some were odd (Max Lord ? Deadman ?? Capt. Boomerang I ???) At the very least, Johns picked a diverse bunch than just play the popular game.
  • "I think DEAD is DEAD from here on out..." Thank you Johns, for possibly enacting a new rule in comic books I have waited for....
  • But then, the final cliffhanger might reverse it. Though, I do like to see who becomes the one who is stable enough to be the White Lantern.

So, on to Brightest Day?

I don't know. Maybe a couple of issues and then play it safe with the trades.

No comments:

Post a Comment