Monday, March 11, 2024

Reaction to the 2024 Oscars



Hey, would you look at this! I'm actually doing an Oscar ceremony reaction post for the first time in forever!

I didn't want to go in super extra detail like I used to, forgoing my phone's notes app as I watched the show, but I still at least wanted to jot down my thoughts and feelings right now while I still have the energy and spirit for it.

Jimmy Kimmel was fine. Standard bland and safe comedy. His Madame Web joke didn't hit at all like his Babylon quip last year and his Sandra Huller rib about her movies in Germany are treated as rom-coms was a complete and utter dud. And then he had to stink up the joint with the show's final gag by of course continuing his stale feud with Matt Damon. The Donald Trump tweet was a killer moment though.

The show was alright overall. I appreciate the early start time and how for the most part the show kept its momentum. However, I hated the return of the five individual presenters and their "you're beautiful, fellow actor" mini speeches for all of the acting categories. Those traditional Oscar movie clips sell the actors, the nominations, and the movies themselves to the public, not some sweet nothings! Plus, it cuts down on time, which the Oscar producers are always annoyed about.

The absolute worst presenter went to Al Pacino for pulling a Laurence Olivier circa the 1985 Oscars and his anticlimactic, rambling reading of the Best Picture winner.

Favorite presenter bit is a three-way tie between John Cena's near full monty, the Twins reunion that turned into a staredown with Batman, and John Mulaney spoiling Field Of Dreams.

The "I'm Just Ken" performance will certainly live on in future Oscar recaps.

I didn't absolutely hate the In Memoriam segment like everybody else but yeah, it could have been better. Didn't like how Treat Williams and Burt Young were relegated to some small text.

16-7 in my Oscar predictions.

I'm weirdly glad Emma Stone got Best Actress. Seems a lot more people were with me on the opinion of Lily Gladstone's performance. Very happy that Godzilla Minus One got Best Visual Effects, The Boy And The Heron easily nabbed Best Animated Feature, and The Zone Of Interest for Best Sound.

The only award I was sad for was when Barbie didn't get Best Costume Design. Man, the Academy just really didn't care for that movie beyond Best Song.

It could be worst. Barbie could have been Killers Of The Flower Moon. Another duck egg for Martin Scorsese as his latest was totally shut out. Just like The Irishman.


And that's all I have to say. See you all next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment