Saturday, June 13, 2009

Mitsuharu Misawa RIP


Mitsuharu Misawa was a living legend and a hated old timer. He could make fans cheer his name and earn the scorn of Internet wrestling fans (a.k.a. IWC). His decisions within his wrestling company, Pro Wrestling NOAH, could help the house show attendance but annoy the followers overseas.

I was one of the detractors but I had respect for the man. He could still go further than some other wrestling legends at his age and created a company that put a spotlight on future stars and wrestlers.

My first match featuring him was a tag team classic during his AJPW days. I was getting further into puroresu (Japanese professional wrestling) and his name kept popping up. This interest in him expanded when I played as him in the Fire Pro Wrestling games on the Game Boy Advance. After this match, I followed his company NOAH and the beginnings and future career. He had "it".

With his sudden death, all of Misawa's recent accomplishments are being seen in a new light. His year-long title reign and Tag Team Tournament win now feel like something for the good for puroresu fans rather than an ego-stroked business decision. It also creates an uncertain future for his company after experiencing a year of troubles and diminished business.

I miss him and wish I could see him perform in person.
Misawa's spirit will continue in the puroresu scene and follow all of his students and friends that lived with him.

Rest in Peace, Misawa Mitsuharu.

No comments:

Post a Comment