Monday, August 29, 2011

Best Songs of 2011...So Far




Now for what I feel are the best, whether in there sheer greatness in originality or, you know, make me want to dance or move to it. You know, like what music should be doing regardless of genre.

I'm still surprised that I didn't include any songs from Lady Gaga. None of them really worked with me.


The Lonely Island Featuring Michael Bolton "Jack Sparrow"

I have stayed away from SNL for some time now, hence why it seems like I'm the only person who loves Kristen Wiig's acting. However, a rare time where it was playing background for me featured another one of their viral-intended videos. And it greatly worked. "Jack Sparrow" makes me nostalgic for those movie theme songs that ruled the day while being a phenomenal satire of them as well as rap music. Bolton is perfect.

Adele "Rolling in the Deep"

Would have been my definitive favorite if it wasn't performed, covered, featured, mocked, over-played everywhere. A crowning achievement for music today.

Foster the People "Pumped Up Kicks"

The indie hit of the year is always soothing despite its dark material. The edited version, which removes "gun" and "bullet", makes for some juvenile fun as listeners think the group is talking about their hidden member.

Nicki Minaj "Super Bass"

Probably the best pure pop song all year. It's bubble-gum aesthetic mixes well with Minaj's extensive voice overs and aggressive rapping.

LMFAO Featuring Lauren Bennett & GoonRock "Party Rock Anthem"

I'll get hell for this. When it came to dancing this year, this song was always my ice-breaker and/or show-stopper. Adapts the Black Eyed Peas musical approach but makes it actually fun to listen to.

Rihanna "S&M"

The most uncomfortable pop song this year, and that's why I like it. Rihanna continues to use her current media image for another song about the pleasures of pain.

Lupe Fiasco "The Show Goes On"

It's kinda cheesy but the repeating guitar segment and bombastic chorus gets to you and makes you feel like you can take the world head on.

Keri Hilson "Pretty Girl Rock"

I bash Beyoncé and her music, yet I really liked this? Possible double standard and questionable rhymes (Keri=very?) aside, I couldn't help but enjoy this true female empowerment song.


No comments:

Post a Comment