Monday, January 13, 2020

Initial Reaction to the 2020 Oscar Nominations



Let's rip the band-aid off of the big one: Joker leading with 11 nominations. A great man once said that it is okay to like a movie. And I am very happy that Joaquin Phoenix, Hildur Guðnadóttir, and Lawrence Sher were given kudos for their work. But this movie as the top dog at the show?! Come on. Which leads us to the biggest uproar...


Once again, no female directors. I had the other four locked in but had Greta Gerwig for the fifth slot, with Noam Baumbach as the potential spoiler. I was so sure that Todd Philips would have no chance but nope, the dude bro director had to get in over Gerwig.


Very happy that Antonio Banderas got in for Best Actor. Not very happy with Jonathan Pryce. I easily predicted the snubs for Taron Egerton, Eddie Murphy, Adam Sandler, and Roman Griffin Davis. But I did held a little hope for Song Kang-ho.


Fuck off not having Awkwafina in Best Actress.


Ahem, now then. I am at least glad that Cynthia Erivo got in to break up the total whiteness of Best Actress. Lupita Nyong'o, Ana de Armas, and Alfre Woodard could have also helped.


Really wished Theron wasn't there for that throwaway Fox News movie. Love her, don't care at all for that movie.


Stupid freakin' pope movie. Best Supporting Actor was almost a perfect lock until Anthony Hopkins bumped out Willem Dafoe. But ultimately who cares? Brad Pitt has to win.


I had Margot Robbie for Best Supporting Actress but for Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood, not for Bombshell. Sucks to be Nicole Kidman.


So happy that my semi wild picks of Florence Pugh and Johansson were made true. Utterly pissed off that Kathy Bates came in as the fifth choice on the ballot. It wasn't saved for Meryl Streep (thank the gods above) but kicking out Jennifer Lopez' best chance at Oscar love is just plain mean.


1917 for Best Original Screenplay?! Stop making me laugh so much! I just saw the pic last Thursday and enjoyed it but largely more on the technical end of it. I'm fine with Mendes for Best Director and overjoyed with Deakins for Best Cinematography. Story wise though, it is very ho-hum in characterization and is more barren in depth than No Man's Land.


Wow, no Atlantics in Best International Film. That's crazy considering how well loved it was with critics last year.


Another shocker: Apollo 11, Maiden and Knock Down The House, the three most talked about documentaries last year, were all shut out.


But then there's the biggest non-acting or directing snub: No Frozen II in Best Animated Film! Holy crap!


I knew Ne Zha wouldn't be popular enough and Promare would be too weird and too anime for the animated voting board but not to have Weathering With You nominated after the royal snub of Your Name.?!


Congrats for I Lost My Body and Klaus. Also, hooray for you Missing Link. It seems that Golden Globe win wasn't a fluke. Still don't think you will win this time around though.


I love Hair Love getting in Best Animated Short. Twitter will be pleased.


Wow, what a bore Best Original Song is. But thank you, The Academy, for telling Beyoncé to shove off. "Spirit", my ass! And seriously, Diane Warren is just here again because of her immense reach in the industry.


Ecstatic that Jarin Blaschke was named one of the five best cinematographers. Too bad Deakins is going to eat his lunch.


Other major snubs: Robert De Niro, Jamie Foxx, 1917 in Best Editing, Uncut Gems, Booksmart, Waves, and everybody in front and behind the camera of The Farewell.


Seriously, I still can not believe the no love for The Farewell.



That's all I can muster right now. Tune in next month for my predictions which I will obviously fail at.

No comments:

Post a Comment