Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Initial Reaction to the 2022 Oscar Nominations


Once again, I'm back in the saddle to react to the Oscar noms. No big emotions either way on any of them. They were all pretty much what I expected.


I am glad Everything Everywhere All At Once got the headlines with the most Oscar nominations (11) but I do kinda feel that it will not win Best Picture. It thankfully will not suffer a shutout as Quan is a definite lock for Best Supporting Actor. I was very happy that Jaime Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu got in for Best Supporting Actress


Dear lord, I've been monitoring the awards train for All Quiet On The Western Front as it prepared to make its final stop at the Academy but I didn't expect it to transform into a Thomas The Tank Engine-like superbeast! It didn't get the most nominations (tying with Banshees with 9) but it felt like it was nominated in every single category. That's what happens when your movie title starts with an A!


Babylon go rightfully shafted. I chuckled whenever I read or heard from the "awards experts" saying it would definitely get in for Best Picture. People actually need to see it, like it and like Damien Chazelle again before that could have happened. In fairness, I am glad it got in for Production Design, Costume Design, and Score. Sucks that Margot Robbie didn't get Best Actress but we will get to that category in a bit.


Oh no, the shock, the horror at Black Panther 2 not getting a Best Picture nom! Seriously, the movie is popular but not Top Gun: Maverick popular. It made a lot of money but there really wasn't any truly meaningful conversation about the movie itself outside of Angela Bassett. Please let her finally get an Oscar!


Women Talking was highly talked about all through last year among critics. Unfortunately for the movie, those were the only people who really cared about it quite frankly. I knew it was too dark and depressing for the Academy but hey at least they got in for Best Picture.


Now, as for the controversy surrounding Best Director. Yes, it does suck that there is not a single female director nominated after two back-to-back wins in the category. It would have been cool if someone like Sarah Polley was there. But you must always remember that the Oscars is and always will be a popularity contest amongst a closed knit industry. Though there should be diversity in the big name categories, that doesn't mean the Academy must always leave a spot open just for the sake of a token appearance.


James Cameron didn't get a nom for Best Director. The fact that that snub is being talked about in the same breath as the no women directors discourse is so unbelievably hypocritical.


I'm happy for the somewhat surprise success of Triangle of Sadness. I wish Charlbi Dean or Woody Harrelson would've gotten nominated though. And yes, I would rather have Dean in contention over Dolly de Leon.


Hooray for Paul Mescal getting in for Best Actor. And though he's in the traditional British actor/career thespian nom slot, I'm happy that Bill Nighy finally got to be noticed by the Academy. Where were they after Love Actually came out?


No Tom Cruise for Best Actor but that was expected.


Ana de Armas?! She's one of my favorite actresses working today but come on, the Academy. We as a true blue American society have tried to forget that Blonde was ever a thing.


Oh, Andrea Riseborough got nominated. Interesting.


Yeah, I'm not really shocked about the Riseborough nom. If you were following Hollywood news and gossip lately, you would have already heard about the sudden and very loud social media praise she was getting in the last couple of weeks, most notably from many very big actors and actresses.


The Woman King completely snubbed, including Viola Davis. This despite that movie being one of the very, very few profitable awards season movies last year. No Danielle Deadwyler for Till also sucks.


Please let this not be the only time Brian Tyree Henry gets Oscar love.


I do pour one out for Paul Dano losing out in Best Supporting Actor but Judd Hirsch is just so great in the few scenes he's in.


No Janelle Monae! Okay, I take back the "no big emotions" remark. That's some bullshit right there.


Surely, the Oscars would give a lot of love to Jordan Peele and Nope, right? Insert Dean Ambrose/Jon Moxley gif here. Honestly, I knew the Academy would not treat that movie well, to the point that I just plain forget that it was snubbed until some critics pointed it out in their reaction articles. I roll my eyes at anyone who really though Keke Palmer had a chance but the fact that the movie didn't get a nom for Best Cinematography, Best Visual Effects, and Best Sound is pretty astounding.


No Inu Oh or Mad God for Best Animated Feature. Kinda prefer one of those over Puss In Boots 2.


Decision To Leave, Saint Omer, Plan 75, The Quiet Girl and Bardo all missed out in Best International Feature. Shame about that. Well, except for Bardo of course.


No RRR for Best International Feature is a complete shocker, considering all of the hype and chatter it had last year. At least it's there for Best Song. Which leads too...


No Taylor Swift! Hooray! Now if only Rihanna and Lady Gaga weren't there as well. Seriously though, I like/love those three but their movie songs all had issues.


Of course Diane Warren found a way to get in. Remember what I said about the Oscars being a popularity contest?


My Year of Dicks. What a title! And what a great audience break for that during the nomination reveals. Only for it to get better when it is followed by An Ostrich Told Me The World Is Fake And I Think I Believe It.


No Top Gun: Maverick for Best Cinematography! Are you freaking kidding me?! Look, I love Roger Deakins, but Empire of Light being nominated over Top Gun is ridiculous.


Hey, remember She Said? No? The Academy didn't either.



That about does it. Come back in March for my predictions which I obviously will fail at.

No comments:

Post a Comment