Thursday, March 31, 2011

10 Best Things of March 2011




1. Bambi on DVD and Blu-Ray

I already own the Platinum Edition. Yet, my love for the animated film has me buying yet another copy just because of some small sprinkling of bonus features and the power of blu-ray, despite still not owning a PS3 or blu-ray player.


2-3. Rango and Paul

One was surprisingly surreal and deconstructive of film and western tropes. The other implements sci-fi callbacks while making a filthy but heartwarming tale.


4. The Jimmy Olsen One-Shot



This comic book collects the previously published segments along with the unreleased final three to show a week in the life of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Uproariously funny with a lot of cute appeal. A perfect gateway. I love the Amanda Conner cover and I hope this is later re-released in trade paperback form.


5. March Madness

My alma mater didn't win but at least it was a great tournament with twists and turns.


6. GUTS: A Young Adult Television Fiasco

Truly depressing. For anyone who wanted to be on a Nickelodeon competition show during the 90's, this short comic is a shock to read.


7. Hard Charger: Wide Open, A GTA 4 Machinima

H.B. Halicki would be proud of this action-packed videogame short film.


8. Batman: The Brave and the Bold returns to TV

Now with more superdickery, Frank Miller allusions, and Jimmy Olsen. Can't have enough Jimmy Olsen.


9. Archer, "Placebo Effect"

Hard toss up between this and "El Secuestro". But I couldn't pass up "RAMPAGE!"


10. Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters #1, Zombie Planet Variant



Representing my regular comic stop on Wednesday. I love that the neon "OPEN" sign was included.


No comments:

Post a Comment