Monday, November 28, 2011

Ken Russell - RIP





It has been reported that British avant-garde/controversial director Ken Russell has passed away. He will be missed.



Russell is now widely known for his extravagant imagery and excess in sensuality (Women in Love) and disturbing content (The Devils).



I haven't seen all of his films currently, including some of his most (in)famous (Altered States, Whore), but viewings of his work during my high school years certainly made me notice him. Tommy and The Lair of the White Worm were crazy, bizarre cult films that blew me away while his segment in the mixed bag Aria, set to "Nessun Dorma", was absolutely beautiful.



Even when one of his works was pretentious or a complete disaster, such as Valentino, I can never say that I wasn't entertained by his artfully gonzo auteurship. Truly a master of film and a great carnival barker.



No comments:

Post a Comment