Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Initial Reaction to the 2018 Oscar Nominations



We once again have nine nominations for Best Picture but this time around I have at least seen four of them. That's one up from last year! Whoo-hoo! Anyway, three of those titles (Dunkirk, Get Out, and The Shape of Water) made it into my Best Films of 2017 list. The last one is the front-runner in this race and to the sure-to-win nom, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I recently saw the film after its surprise win at the Golden Globes and I frankly have to say that it is good but not that good. I loved Sam Rockwell and McDormand does a fine job, along with the rest of the game cast, yet it really didn't resonant after leaving the theater. It's also a little too stagey (the words are more important instead of the blocking) and way too indie-riffic (small sets, mixture of quirky and grim, and the presence of Peter Dinklage and John Hawkes). Certainly not my favorite of Martin McDonagh and I feel like I will be on backlash bandwagon in the near future due to my satisfactory response and the fact that I really want Get Out to be the surprise winner. Seriously, how cool would it be if we had back-to-back Best Picture winners by black filmmakers?


I would gladly pluck out Darkest Hour and The Post in favor for The Disaster Artist and Mudbound but alas, Oscar bait must rule again.


Jason Blum is now an Oscar nominated producer. Can you believe in miracles?


I was so excited hearing Jordan Peele's name being read for Best Director. Gerwig was the cherry on top. Very glad that Steven Spielberg got a pass.


Absolutely loved seeing Daniel Kaluuya up for Best Actor. Denzel Washington, on the other hand, made me roll my eyes. He's great and all but really, for the bomb that was Roman J. Israel, Esq.?


Of course, the snub of James Franco comes as no surprise given the recent allegations levied against him.


Best Actress went accordingly until, SHE CAME AT THE END! God damn Meryl Streep! I have not seen The Post and she may be great in it, especially compared to her nomination last year for Florence Foster Jenkins, but I'm just sick of her stealing a slot from someone more deserving of the rub nearly every year now. Will next year have her be up for Mamma Mia 2?!


Both of the supporting acting races each had a surprise new contender into the race. Armie Hammer was booted in favor of Woody Harrelson and Lesley Manville thankfully took the place over Hong Chau. I accurately guessed that Harrelson would sneak his way into another Best Supporting Actor nom but Manville coming in out of nowhere was a true shocker.


Speaking of shockers, Logan up for Best Adapted Screenplay!


Very glad that The Big Sick and The Disaster Artist at the very least got some love in the screenplay categories.


The Boss Baby. Potential winner of Best Animated Film.


Ferdinand. Potential winner of Best Animated Film.


I know last year's animated output stunk but those two really shouldn't be here. Unfortunately, some changes in the rules last year were implemented to curb the nominations in this category so that anime and indie films could be shoved aside for the heavy hitters. Yes, the animated elite in Hollywood were pissed off at My Life as a Zucchini and The Red Turtle so much that they pressured the Academy to rule more in their favor. Thankfully, we have The Breadwinner and Loving Vincent in there as potential spoilers against Coco.


Some good choices in Best Foreign Language Film but wow, how did Foxtrot not get in?


Good old Agnès Varda, still alive and kicking major ass as she's nominated for her co-direction in the indie favorite doc Faces Places.


In a Heartbeat not getting a Best Animated Short nomination is a serious headshaker. Maybe it was some stupid technicality.


Can't really say much for the technical side of the awards but I'm very happy its littered with multiple noms for Blade Runner 2049 and the fact that Baby Driver gets to compete for Best Editing.


Other major snubs: Gal Gadot, Tom Hanks, Michael Stuhlbarg, Tiffany Haddish, The Beguiled, Nick Jonas and Mariah Carey in Best Original Song (thank you lord), and mother!. Yeah, I know that last one didn't have a chance anywhere but last night's Razzie noms still burn in my soul!



That's all I can muster right now. Tune in next month for my predictions which I will obviously fail at.

No comments:

Post a Comment