Friday, May 4, 2018

Top 100 Best Eurovision Songs


In order to celebrate my new love of Eurovision, I decided to do something which I don't normally do when it comes to music: construct a "best of" list.

Now comes the usual disclaimer that everyone forgets to remember: This list is of my own opinion, not the general public nor the Internet consensus. I assembled the list based on several factors, such as the song itself, the live performance, and most importantly that mysterious x-factor that causes the song to resonate with me throughout the past year and beyond. But honestly, you shouldn't really take this list too seriously. If you object to any and/or all of my selections, that's okay. Plus, you can always go back to the annual ESC 250 and see what the global Eurovision fandom have to say is the very best of the best.

Also please note: I am not counting any of the songs selected for the 2018 contest. Since we have not seen their final performances yet, they can not be considered and must wait until the following year when I inevitably revise the list.



TOP TEN BEST EUROVISION SONGS

1. Loreen - “Euphoria”

I simply can not get sick of this song. Truly worthy of it being hailed by fans currently as the greatest song to ever come from Eurovision.

2. Polina Gagarina - “A Million Voices”

She overcame a hostile crowd to amazingly belt out a stunning pop epic.

3. Ruslana - “Wild Dances”

The performance that changed the course of Eurovision in the 21st century.

4. Carola - “Fangad Av En Stormvind”

Noticing a trend yet? I just plain love female pop songs in the contest's history with this being the most bubble gummy of them all.

5. Bucks Fizz - “Making Your Mind Up”

All performances pay tribute and bow down to this quartet and their legendary skirt-ripping climax.

6. Domenico Modugno - “Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu”

I would have had to turn in my Italian card if I didn't have this in my Top Ten.

7. Johnny Logan - “Hold Me Now”

Go ahead and fob it off as a sappy, silly love song if you must. This warms my heart every time.

8. LT United - “We Are The Winners”

A novelty earworm that wisely took the piss out of the contest while also delivering one wild performance. It's no surprise why this remains Lithuania's best ever result.

9. ABBA - “Waterloo”

A way too obvious choice but come on, it's ABBA with their breakout hit.

10. Gina G - “Ooh Aah… Just A Little Bit”

This one closes out the Top Ten because it quite frankly is one of my all-time favorite songs growing up. When I found out it originated from Eurovision, it made me love it even more.



THE NEXT TEN

11. France Gall - “Poupee De Cire, PoupĂ©e De Son”

Thank you Sergei Gainsbourg for bringing brilliant pop and a sense of modernity to the contest back in the 1960s.

12. Nika Kocharov & Young Georgian Lolitaz - “Midnight Gold”

The second most controversial song from the 2016 contest and undoubtably one of the coolest and most raucous rock songs of Eurovision. Its breakdown segment now lives in infamy for the huge amount of strobing lights and camera cuts it inflicts upon the viewer.

13. Lena - “Taken By A Stranger”

Far and away better than her contest winning entry the previous year and what should have made her the female Johnny Logan.

14. Tanja - “Amazing”

The highest non-qualifer on my list. A lot of people criticize this song for being a pale rip-off of "Euphoria". I do see their point but that doesn't stop it from being a beautifully ambitious and moving dance track. The live performance greatly enhances it due to the intense choreography on display and Tanja's impressive singing ability.

15. Sunstroke Project - “Hey Mamma”

The song that solidified my new love for Eurovision.

16. Il Volo - “Grande Amore”

Gods above, those heavenly voices and that bombastic pop opera.

17. Sofia Nizharadze - “Shine”

It amazes me how this isn't a bigger hit with fans. A truly beautiful female ballad.

18. The Common Linnets - “Calm After The Storm”

A stirring country duet that soothes the soul.

19. Conchita Wurst - “Rise Like A Phoenix”

The amazing song and performance that help lead Eurovision to break into the pop culture sphere of the United States.

20. Dschinghis Khan - “Dschinghis Khan”

I knew about these guys back during the heyday of the "Moskau" meme and like Gina G, my fondness for them grew when I heard their Eurovision entry.


And now, the rest of the list. If I had the time and energy for it, I would have added images and text to these offerings. Or, more likely, I will save them for next year when I revise my list just like any Eurovision fan. Perhaps maybe bump it up to my Top 150?


21. Lordi - “Hard Rock Hallelujah”
22. Ira Losco - “Walk On Water”
23. Teach-In - “Ding-A-Dong”
24. Pas De Deux - “Rendez-vous”
25. Norma John - “Blackbird”
26. Sandra Kim - “J’aime La Vie”
27. Softengine - “Something Better”
28. Justs - “Heartbeat”
29. Serebro - “Song #1”
30. Margaret Berger - “I Feed You My Love”

31. Nina Zilli - “L’Amore E’ Femmina (Out Of Love)”
32. Hadise - “Dum Tek Tek”
33. Ann Sophie - “Black Smoke”
34. Jedward - “Lipstick”
35. Sweet Dreams - “I’m Never Giving Up”
36. Paula Seling & Ovi - “Playing With Fire”
37. Lena - “Satellite”
38. Sergey Lazarev - “You Are The Only One”
39. Moje 3 - “Ljubav Je Svuda”
40. Lucie Jones - “Never Give Up On You”

41. Freddie - “Pioneer”
42. AySel & Arash - “Always”
43. Monika Kuszynska - “In The Name Of Love”
44. Zlata Ognevich - “Gravity”
45. Aminata - “Love Injected”
46. Barei - “Say Yay!”
47. OG3NE - “Lights And Shadows”
48. Ketil Stokkan - “Romeo”
49. Todomondo - “Liubi, Liubi, I Love You”
50. Fredi & Friends - “Pump-Pump”

51. Gigliola Cinquetti - “Non Ho L’Eta’”
52. Shiri Maimon - “Hasheket Shenish’ar”
53. Urban Symphony - “Randajad”
54. JOWST - “Grab The Moment”
55. Zeljko Joksimovic - “Nije Ljubav Stvar”
56. Verka Serduchka - “Dancing Lasha Tumbai”
57. Anja Nissen - “Where I Am”
58. Poli Genova - “Na Inat”
59. Sunstroke Project & Olia Tira - “Run Away”
60. Katrina and the Waves - “Love Shine A Light”

61. Marko Kon & Milaan - “Cipela”
62. Herreys - “Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley”
63. Krista Siegfrids - “Marry Me”
64. Getter Jaani - “Rockefeller Street”
65. Ryder - “Runner In The Night”
66. Morena - “Vodka”
67. NOX - “Forogj, Vilag!”
68. Basim - “Cliche Love Song”
69. Jessy Matador - “Allez Olla Ole”
70. Alexander Rybak - “Fairytale”

71. Antique - “Die For You”
72. Tinker Kovac - “Round And Round”
73. Laura Tesoro - “What’s The Pressure”
74. Elena - “The Balkan Girls”
75. Douwe Bob - “Slow Down”
76. Nina Sublatti - “Warrior”
77. Koza Mostra & Agathon Iakovidis - “Alcohol Is Free”
78. Valentina Monetta - “Crisalide (Vola)”
79. Zdob Si Zdub - “So Lucky”
80. Rona Nishliu - “Suus”

81. TWIN TWIN - “Moustache”
82. Faris Mammadov - “Hold Me”
83. Sarbel - “Yassou Maria”
84. Elpida - “Tora Zo”
85. Susanne Georgi - “Le Teva Decisio (Get A Life)”
86. Anastasiya Vinnikova - “I Love Belarus”
87. Monika Linkyte & Vaidas Baumila - “This Time”
88. Riva - “Rock Me”
89. Lazy Bums - “Shir Habatlanim”
90. Teo - “Cheesecake”

91. Brainstorm - “My Star”
92. Nina - “Caroban”
93. Soluna Samay - “Should’ve Known Better”
94. Rodolfo Chikilicuatre - “Baila El Chiki Chiki”
95. Waldo’s People - “Lose Control”
96. Dihaj - “Skeletons”
97. Dami Im - “Sound Of Silence”
98. Kristina Pelakova - “Horehronie”
99. Anastasia Prikhodko - “Mamo”
100. Sebnem Paker & Grup Ethnic - “Dinle”

No comments:

Post a Comment