Friday, January 5, 2024

Anime Watch of 2023


Demon Slayer
continued its reign at the top, utilizing movie theaters to help build up the anticipation for its next season, which of course drew huge numbers. On the other hand, the debuting Oshi no Ko had a firm hold on the anime world, largely thanks to its shocking first episode, dark storyline, and a killer opening theme. Jujutsu Kaisen, Spy x Family, and Vinland Saga all had popular second seasons and we got to see the return of a certain red jacketed space outlaw in a highly acclaimed revival. Romance was in the air, as we saw many hearts aflutter in comedies (Tomo-Chan Is A Girl!, The Dangers In My Heart, Skip and Loafer) and dramas (My Happy Marriage, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten) that were all well appreciated. Netflix had two regular anime hits with Zom 100: Bucket List of the Dead and and the American co-production Scott Pilgrim Takes Off and was the toast of the summer with their popular live-action adaptation of One Piece. Frieren: Beyond Journey's End lived up to its high expectations and became a big hit. And finally, Attack On Titan was laid to rest, ending its protracted fourth season and the series entirely with two special episodes.


Yep, 2023 was a very good year for anime. Too bad I let the majority of it go to waste.


As stated in my last Anime Watch article, thanks to Sony trying to consolidate Funimation and Crunchyroll together (despite the fact that they are strangely still two separate pay-to-watch entities), my paid yearly subscriptions were also combined. I could watch all of the anime that I ever wanted on Crunchyroll and I didn't have to paid a single cent until December 1, 2023. However, my energy and urge for anime just wasn't going to the television and streaming fronts. Why sit down with a long-form romantic comedy when Makoto Shinkai dazzled me in one sitting in movie theaters on my birthday? Why watch an entire Gundam series when I could get its story streamlined while blowing up mobile suits in tactical RPGs or action video games? Why check out new series when I can just rewatch old episodes of MegaMan NT Warrior on Twitch and YouTube via Capcom or finally check out the English dub of the second half of Komi Can't Communicate? Or quite simply, why watch when I can spend more time reading manga and light novels and feel more satisfied?


So yeah, I pretty much squandered my free subscription. I didn't really watch a lot of regular anime shows, nor did I hit the anime goals that I set last year. I didn't watch Spy x Family, season 1 or the premiering season 2, instead settling for reading the entirety of the manga. They were second seasons for shows I previously enjoyed but I either didn't partake in them or pathetically watched only the first episode. Though I don't really feel too bad about my lack of anime watching (again, I didn't waste money on it unlike say my Max subscription), it still kinda sucks I let the majority of it escape me.


Not helping matters was all of the drama that popped up, which I spent more time looking at or watching YouTube videos about than actually watching anime. While Oshi no Ko was the new hot thing, the fact that the property used the real-life struggles of pro wrestler Hana Kimura, who committed suicide in 2020, as the basis for one of the characters discouraged a lot of people, most notably her mother Kyoko Kimura who called the show out for it. Resurgences of COVID affected the releases for a lot of shows, killing their momentum and the attention of viewers. Sony did another shutdown/merger when popular long-time online store RightStuf was merged with Crunchyroll's own online store. Crunchyroll sunset their digital manga section, which was a popular place at one time but quickly died a slow painful death after losing licenses to Kodansha titles. Major scandals emerged when popular anime company MAPPA was hit with allegations of poor working conditions and male idol talent agency Johnny & Associates was revealed to having a long disturbing history of sexual harassment claims, cover-ups, and blacklistings. Controversy came to American dubbing when Anairis Quiñones's role and all of her recorded lines as Yoruichi in Bleach: Thousand Blood War were being replaced by the character's original voice actress Wendee Lee, leading to anger, frustration, a whole lotta drama on Twitter, and questions about diversity in voice acting and caving to "fan" pressure. And then you had the anime shows that were just so bad, including KamiKatsu, I Got A Cheat Skill..., Ayakashi Triangle (broadcast version), MF Ghost, Butareba, and quite sadly the second half of the second season of The Devil Is A Part-Timer!


But enough about about all of that, let's just move on to the small list of the anime shows that I actually did watch last year. As like before, the list goes from what I dubbed was the best all the way down to the worst. The rules are the same: The overall quality of the show and my response to it are the major factors toward their rank. However, other additional factors such as replayability, voice talent, and lasting impact can help sway their placing. Only new shows/new viewings count; rewatches are immediately disqualified and if I watch a show that I already started, only the continuing unwatched episodes will be reviewed. I treat and grade all series fairly, even ones that I haven't actually finished or may not choose to finish. If you see a * next to the title, that means I had a limited sampling of the show or didn't complete the series/franchise fully.


1. Star Blazers* [eps. 1-5]

2. Pokémon Concierge

3. My Clueless First Friend* [eps. 1-5]

4. Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny* [eps. 1-6]

5. In Another World With My Smartphone* (Season 2) [ep. 1]

6. The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses* [ep. 1]


Yeah, as I said, not a whole watched last year. Funny how the best show I watched was something I had to glean off of YouTube. Seriously, someone really needs to bring Star Blazers to blu-ray now! I don't really think 4-6 were truly terrible but they all had big issues, namely pacing (SEED Destiny), boring Japanese voice acting (Smartphone), and whatever you call that animation (Glasses). Man, I kinda enjoy the original manga of The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses but GoHands is an infamous animation studio and they did quite a number on such a simple romantic comedy.


So what to do this year? Finally watch all of Spy x Family, hopefully in time for the American release of the movie Code: White. Also maybe finish SEED Destiny, despite its many troubles, in time for the new movie. Watch Season 3 of Iruma-Kun. Catch up on all of the romantic comedies I missed out on. Watch and cheer on the second season of Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki-kun. Finally finish Fire Force!

No comments:

Post a Comment