Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Initial Reaction to the 2023 Oscar Nominations


Oh boy, so we'll get to the big elephant in the room but first let me just sum up my feelings on today's Oscar noms: Pretty much expected and not too surprised.


All I really wanted were just three nominations: The Boy And The Heron for Best Animated Film (a total lock), Godzilla Minus One for Best Visual Effects (a nice surprise), and Greta Lee for Best Actress (big ole nope).


Okay, now for the biggest news of the day: Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig both snubbed! I knew it, I knew it in my bones that both would be left off the ballot and sure enough it happened.


The Academy: Gee thanks Gerwig for helping save movie theaters by making the #1 movie of the year. What? You want Best Director? Don't be absurd! You're a woman and you made a comedy. If you were a woman and made a drama, no scratch that, a dark drama that's in a foreign language, maybe we can talk. Oh, but don't worry! See, we got you a nom for Best Adapted Screenplay. You should thanks us for that opportunity.


I know American Fiction is getting a ton of raves and such but I still don't really care much for it. I kinda liked it when it was originally called Bamboozled. And "Wacky Deli".


My beloved Past Lives, only got Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. Two great noms that anyone would sell their kidneys for but still a disappointment for me.


I'm happy that Jonathan Glazer is finally getting some recognition. It just sucks that he had to go the Holocaust route, which the Academy just can't get enough of, in order to draw eyes. Meanwhile, Under The Skin continues to grow in stature, even with its lack of Oscar love.


I like Colman Domingo but it kinda sucks his big first nom is for an Oscar bait movie that nobody cared for on Netflix (just like Maestro!).


Nyad had that package deal. If you voted for Annette Bening, Jodie Foster had to be included.


Would have liked to see Willem Dafoe get a nom for Best Supporting Actor just so he can continue being the king of that category.


I'm glad America Ferrera got her first nom. Her big but divisive monologue in the movie must have sealed it for voters. Honestly would have wanted Kate McKinnon instead.


No Killers Of The Flower Moon for Best Adapted Screenplay. Good.


So very happy that the Disney bloc used their push to get Wish into Best Animated Feature. Really sucks that Suzume didn't have a chance but I am very happy for the crew behind Nimona and Robot Dreams.


I still haven't seen Society Of The Snow yet but I'm glad for J.A. Bayona's success, both with the streaming numbers for the movie and it getting into Best International Feature Film.


Everyone, let's all point and laugh at France! Those idiots didn't want to back Anatomy Of A Fall due to the director's comments back at Cannes. It got five nominations while The Taste Of Things got to taste nothing but stale air.


Wow, I just realized recently and especially today how 2023 was a pretty blah year for documentaries. I never heard of any of these films!


Fucking Diane Warren. For the song nobody knows, from the Cheetos movie that no one saw and has pretty much become the biggest "bomb" ever for a streaming movie.


Seriously, no "Dance The Night"?!


Nothing for Ferrari. Good.


Still haven't joined the public in seeing Saltburn so I can't really feel too bad for it being snubbed.


Oh wow! The Academy didn't care for All Of Us Strangers and Origin?! I'm shocked, shocked!



That about does it. Come back in March for my predictions which I obviously will fail at.

No comments:

Post a Comment