Monday, July 16, 2012

Trailer Review - Oz: The Great and Powerful




Oz: The Great and Powerful
1st Trailer
Watch It Here


Person of Interest: James Franco in the distracting role of Oz, Mila Kunis as some beauty, Michelle Williams as Glinda the Good Witch (I think), and Rachel Weisz as the Wicked Witch.

Scene Pop: The transition from B&W full screen to colored widescreen.

Briggs Breakdown: 3 circus acts, 2 3D effects, 3 establishing world shots, a big explosion in the courtyard, a deadly tornado, an awful CGI fall, and too many flying monkeys to count.

Effective?: Yes, solely for the visuals, lite story developments, and the killer ending.

Check it Out?: Regardless of my opinion, practically everyone will be heading to the theaters to see this next March. The Wizard of Oz is an American classic. For myself, the 1939 film is a powerful whisper; it is one of the best films ever yet I don't address my favoritism of it to others. As for this film, I'll be seeing it but the Burton-esque artwork, that annoying audience-baiting producer credit for Alice in Wonderland, and massive overdose of green-screening are bewildering. I did like the goofy, fake 3D effects though.



No comments:

Post a Comment