Thursday, October 31, 2013

My Horror/Halloween Hit List


Throughout this month, I have been watching and reviewing horror or horror-themed films in honor of the Halloween spirit. Along with the mandatory film of the day, as well as any additional movie added to a certain day, I saw a few 2013 horror films. This is all of the movies I watched for the first time or re-watched:


Attack of the Crab Monsters
Bats
Bay of Blood
Black Sunday (1960)
Blackenstein
Bubba Ho-tep
The Call of Cthulhu
Carnival of Souls
Chernobyl Diaries
The Conjuring
Creature (2011)
Dracula (1931)
Escape from Tomorrow
Evil Ed
Female Vampire
Frankenstein (1910)
Ghost Ship
Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood
His Name Was Jason: 30 Years of Friday the 13th
The House of the Devil
In the Mouth of Madness
Insidious
Insidious: Chapter 2
The Invisible Maniac
The Lords of Salem
Mimic
My Bloody Valentine 3D
Pet Sematary
The Phantom Carriage
Pontypool
Rodan
Rogue
Sector 7
Severance
Sharknado
The Shining
The Signal
Snuff
Stranded
The Woman
YellowBrickRoad



41 films this year. Will I be doing these daily reviews again next October? It's inconclusive. Spending every day watching a horror film then quickly writing up a critique on it has been fun, challenging my skills and my time management. On the other hand, this project became more important over my usual long-form reviews, some of which are still unfinished at the time of this write-up, as well as my horror edition of the Essential Hit List (notice The Phantom Carriage is included). I also didn't get to do one of my favorite things each year: watch an entire horror franchise. It would have been the Saw or Puppet Master films, for anyone wondering. There was also many films I really wanted to do but neglected, such as favorites like The Mist and the recently great horror entry ParaNorman. Still, I did get to see some movies that will be included on my worst of all time list (Blackenstein, Female Vampire, Snuff) and a few that will join the horror elite or stood completely out (In the Mouth of Madness, The Woman, Pontypool, Evil Ed, The Signal). So, check back late September 2014 to see what I decide to do. Until then, Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment